Monday, July 9, 2007

Breaking the News: Work

letter-on-desk

Several months ago, my father worked the weekend night audit at a small, independently owned motel down the road from his apartment. After he decided it was too much to have his regular job and the weekend job, he quit the motel. The girl they hired to replace him slept through the audit and ran up long-distance phone bills on the office line. So when I moved to Huntsville, they hired me on the spot.

It's not a bad job. It's perfect for writers or people who stay up all night using the internet. The only complaint I have is that sometimes the male guests think that I am part of the hotel package. I wonder if this happens at all hotels/motels/inns, or just the ones with cheap rates. I've been thinking I might try to make a mini-comic zine out of the whole crazy situation, and call it "Motel'inn", or some other crappily clever title.

Today I put in my notice through the Manager's preferred form of communication - a letter left on her desk. It is pretty mundane, but I thought I would post it here so I can look back two years from now (when I am writing a blog entry that is actually about living in Alaska) and be very glad to no longer be in the Dark Times, Part III.

Hi Ms. Elaine & Ms. Mary!

I have been offered a position teaching English Composition at the University of Alaska. The University will pay me a salary & will pay for my tuition. I am going to be in the graduate creative writing program, working on my Masters of Fine Arts.

I will be leaving Alabama on August 15th. I would like to have around a week before this date to finish packing and visiting family members. If it is possible, I would like to request that my last day of employment at The Inn* be August 8th, 2007.

I know it is hard to find someone to work the weekend night audit position, so if it would help please rearrange my schedule as you need to. I would be more than happy to switch to working weekends, and/or to help train my replacement.

I apologize for the short notice. I was not sure until recently that I would be able to accept the position.

I have enjoyed working at The Inn*. I promise to send a postcard from Alaska!

Sincerely,

Jenni Moody
07/09/07


And for complete documentation, my handwritten letter:

resignation-p1-v2

resignation-p2-v2

* The Inn isn't the real name of the motel. Since I'm still working there, I thought it might be best to leave it anonymous.

No comments: