Thursday, August 2, 2007

Cabins vs. Dorms - Take Two

Around the beginning of June I received a letter from UAF Residence Life saying that Mike and I were on the waiting list for a dorm. At the end of June I emailed Res Life to check on the status of the dorm, and they said they would know whether we would have a dorm room around mid-July. Last week I emailed Res Life again to check on the status. Right now, Mike and I are 3rd on the wait list for a dorm room. The only openings for a co-habitating couple are 2 bedroom dorms in Hess Village for $965/ month.

So - a cabin it is!

We're arriving very early in the morning on Sunday, August 26th. Hopefully we'll be able to look at some cabins that day. I'm a bit worried there might be a pre-term rush for cabins that are close to the UAF campus. Starting August 27, I will be in Teaching Assistant training from 9-4 everyday. I'm really looking forward to the training, but I am worried about Mike going cabin hunting by himself. We went through a similar situation a year ago in Birmingham, and it was very stressful even with the aid of his motor scooter.

Right now our plan is to pick up the Daily News-Miner and two bicycles and see where they take us.

Present and past Fairbanks insiders, if you have any advice or secrets on securing a good cabin near the UAF campus please share them with me. I would love any help!

5 comments:

Wayfarer Scientista said...

I just wanted to warn you that "Cabin" in Fairbanks means without running water and with an outhouse. That said, I lived in one for years and loved it (the campus is set up with showers and you haul water from the water wagon). I would email your department secretary and ask them to forward a "looking for a cabin" email to the grad students in the department. You'll likely hear something that way. The best cabins are all by word of mouth.

Jenni Moody said...

Hi Wayfarer Scientista!

Thank you for the awesome tip! I'll email the MFA program and see if anyone knows of a good cabin. :)

I'm happy to hear of another person who really liked living in a cabin. Everyone I have talked to so far has said that cabin living is great and cheap. Living without running water and using an outhouse is going to be a big change, but I'm willing and eager to try it. :D

Wayfarer Scientista said...

Jenni ~ I think since you are mocing here in the fall you will have plenty of time to adjust to the cabin lifestyle before winter moves in. Cabin lifestyle does take a little more work then others but in some ways it really makes you feel connected to the world and to the resources you are using.

Wayfarer Scientista said...

oh - Jenni - you can email me your desires using my pseudonym on gmail and I can forward it to friends in Fairbanks as well as doing the secretary thing.

Jenni Moody said...

"makes you feel connected to the world and to the resources you are using" - Awesome!

Thank you for offering to ask your friends in Fairbanks if they know of any good cabins! I'm writing an email now. :)