Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Alaska Scrapbook/ Binder

Someday, my posts will have more to do with living in Alaska. But until I arrive in Fairbanks in late August to begin my TA training, all I have are books and preparation reports.

Today I made an Alaska scrapbook/ binder for artifacts and musings that don't fit on this blog. I bought the original scrapbook several years ago at a thrift store for 79 cents. I have several scrapbooks all with the same style of photography on the covers. The others show Spring and Fall landscapes. The one I have chosen to be my Alaska scrapbook looks like this:

Alaska Scrapbook

And the inside cover has a lovely pattern as well:

Alaska Scrapbook - Inside Cover

The only problem with the original scrapbook was the pages. There were only around 25 of them. And the clear plastic covers on each page were loose. The pages were yellowed and browned.

Alaska Scrapbook - Old Photo Pages

So, I removed the pages. Then I cut the front and back covers off of a sturdy 1 inch binder, and super-glued the binder's spine into the scrapbook cover:

Alaska Scrapbook - Revamped with binder

Huzzah! Now I can use it for on the road journal entries, sketches, pamphlets of kisch, leaf pressings - whatever I want. Anything that can be hole punched can go in my new scrapbook. And if I decide I want to take it out or rearrange the pages, it is no big deal.

:D.

In other news: Mike and I sent in our dorm housing application a few weeks ago. They've taken the application fee out of my bank account, but I haven't heard anything on whether we have been accepted as a Financially Interdependent Couple. If they don't accept us into on campus housing, it will be time to start searching for a cabin. I'm hoping we can ease into Alaskan life by having a dorm room the first year, and then finding a cabin for the next two years.

No comments: